Original News24 Article
News24 reports that President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on Thursday evening the country will move to adjusted Level 1 lockdown, starting at midnight.
He also said the government would also be implementing a vaccine certificate.
- The curfew will be from 00:00 to 04:00.
- Non-essential establishments like restaurants, bars and fitness centres will need to close by 23:00 to allow their employees and patrons to travel home before the start of the curfew.
- The maximum number of people permitted to gather indoors will increase from 250 to 750, and the maximum number of people permitted to gather outdoors will increase from 500 to 2 000. Where the venue is too small to accommodate these numbers with appropriate social distancing, then no more than 50% of the venue’s capacity may be used. This includes religious services, political events and social gatherings as well as restaurants, bars, taverns and similar places.
- The maximum number of people permitted at a funeral will increase from 50 to 100. As before, night vigils, after-funeral gatherings and after tears gatherings are not allowed.
- The sale of alcohol – for both off-site and on-site consumption – will be permitted, according to normal licence provisions. However, no alcohol may be sold after 23:00.
- The wearing of masks in public places is still mandatory, and failure to wear a mask when required remains a criminal offence.
- Ramaphosa said as part of the effort to return the most-affected parts of the economy to operation, the government was looking at the further relaxation of restrictions, particularly with respect to sporting and cultural events.