George Municipality Acting Executive Deputy Mayor Charlotte Clarke hereby confirms the measures the municipality is taking in regard to the Coronavirus. “The George Municipality assures all residents, communities and visitors that the George Municipality is closely monitoring the Coronavirus crisis in relation to the declaration of a National Disaster as called by the national government on 15 March 2002.
“George Municipality held its first meeting in this regard last week already on Tuesday 10 March and on Monday 16 March 2020 an internal COVID Committee was formed to follow and monitor the situation. We trust officials will set the expected and appropriate example in delivering services to all communities inclusively. We ask the community to please exercise patience as we address and put in place new measures to ensure your safety as well as that of our staff and councillors.”
Clarke said an inter-ministerial task team had been established whose roles link directly with the Garden Route District and George Municipalities. Since the South African State President decreed a State of Emergency on a national level, the lead is taken by National Government with local municipalities such as George facilitating implementation of local functions.
In line with the declaration of a National Disaster, the Western Cape and Garden Route District Municipal Disaster Centres have been activated and George Municipality is represented at district level. An internal COVID Committee has been activated for the municipality which is working on all risks relating to our staff and members of the public accessing municipal buildings. The COVID-19 plans for the municipality include the following:
The following municipal facilities and certain offices as used by the public and listed below will be CLOSED until further notice. Please note this list may be amended as and when required as the situation develops:
- Conville Swimming Pool
- Community Halls
- York Street Civic Centre
- Braai and picnic spots including those at beaches
- Municipal sport facilities including the Outeniqua Stadium
- Wilderness Tourism Office
- George and Uniondale Youth Cafe
ALL OTHER OFFICES remain OPEN but ACCESS WILL BE RESTRICTED from Friday 20 March 2020 to employees only and members of the public who have pre-arranged appointments with the relevant department.
George Municipality requests the public to phone in with queries, correspond via email where possible or use online services where available. Members of the public are also urged not to visit their Ward Councillors at their homes until further notice. Urgent matters must be dealt with telephonically or via text messages or email.
Security officials at the entrances to all municipal buildings – including external buildings such as Civil Engineering Services, Community Services and Electrical Services Directorates – will provide hand sanitisation materials. Any member of the public refusing to use the sanitiser will regrettably be denied access. Notebooks and pens will, however, be available at the entrances of external service directorates to manually record complaints and enquiries.
- All public meetings and events in excess of 100 people have been cancelled until further notice and population certificates withdrawn where applicable.
- Council meetings will take place as and when required in accordance with regulations around gathering of people.
- Public Participation meetings for the Integrated Development Plan (IDP)and Budget will not take place and alternative methods of receiving public comments will be utilised. Media awareness campaigns will be intensified for the benefit of public awareness in this regard.
- Intensified cleaning protocols have been put in place in municipal buildings to protect employees and visiting public.
The following municipal offices remain OPEN BUT WITH RESTRICTED ACCESS by pre-arranged appointment only:
- Area Offices
- Civil Engineering Customer Care Centre
- Finance Cashier Hall (pre-arrangement to pay your bills?)
- Thusong Centre Touwsranten / Thembalethu
- George Tourism Office
- Social Services Office
- Housing Queries Office
- Human Settlements (Main Building)
- LED Office
- Sport Development Office
- Electrotechnical Services Office
- Civil Engineering Services Office
- Planning (Building Plans) 4th Floor
- Human Resources
- Corporate Services
- Legal Division
- Community Services (Meade Street)
- Protection Services (Cathedral Street)
- Law Enforcement and Emergency Services
- Traffic Department
The following offices remain OPEN to the public and the NUMBER OF PEOPLE allowed inside the facility will be firmly CONTROLLED with entrances and facilities well-sanitised in accordance with the WHO COVID-19 protocols.
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- Traffic Department / Drivers Licence – all eye testing equipment sanitised after each user
- Library operating hours will be reduced and will only provide basic services, namely the taking out and returning of reading material. No access to computers will be allowed for hygiene purposes.
- Cemeteries will remain open with the number of people limited at the grave site, as per the gathering regulation of no more than 100 people.
- Municipal Court
“Service delivery to our communities remains priority,” said George Municipal Manager Trevor Botha, “It is the management of the COVID-19 situation that will make a long-term difference and we are aware that decisions taken now may inconvenience some residents, but it is in the interest of containing this virus and for the ongoing protection of all of our residents and staff – we trust the public will understand and support the need for these measures.”
Further information on the Corona Virus can be obtained via the resources listed below:
- NATIONAL COVID-19 hotline on 0800 029 999.
- WESTERN CAPE PROVINCIAL COVID-19 HOTLINE on 021 928 4102
- WHATSAPP SUPPORT LINE 0600 123 456 – Put the number into your contacts and Whatsapp “Hi”
- For more information and the latest news on COVID-19, please visit: http://westerncape.gov.za/coronavirus
- www.george.gov.za ; Municipal Facebook; Twitter; Municipal App
- Main Switchboard 044 801911
- Civil Engineering Complaints 044 801 9262/6
- Electrotechnical Services Switchboard 044 801 9222 and 044 803 9222
- Community Services Switchboard 044 802 2900
- Social Development: 044 802 2000
- Emergency Services 044 801 6311 (Fire ONLY)
- AFTER HOURS 044 801 6300