The George Municipality anounced today that there will not be a Lights Festival this year due to Covid-19 reasons.
George Municipality has taken the decision that the annual Lights Festival as well as the switching on of the festive lights will not take place in George due to the impact of Covid-19. Large gatherings are currently high infection risk areas and regrettably the repair and/or replacement of the existing festive lights is not possible due to budgetary constraints as well as the inherent Covid-19 risks of working on such repairs.
“The safety and wellbeing of our citizens remains our foremost concern”, said Mayor Van Wyk noting that the George Council is aware of how disappointing this news will be to the communities of George. We however ask that everyone looks to the bigger picture of keeping themselves, their families and colleagues safe at all times and specifically now with George being a second wave hotspot. We ask the public to continue to be mindful of the health and safety measures implemented to limit the spread of Covid-19 and to make the safer choice every time.”
General Tips for Covid Safety:
- Choose outdoor activities – the fresh air is good for you!
- Avoid crowded places where you cannot maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres, and keep away from venues that has no or little ventilation.
- Always wear your mask in public and when you are finished eating. Sanitise often.
- If you invite people over, keep gatherings small and outdoors.
- Do not share drinks, cigarettes and cutlery, and drink alcohol responsibly.
- Stay away from others when you are sick.