The approaching colder weather has highlighted the need for fire safety at home again, in particular following a fire that broke out last week in Zone 6, Asazani informal settlement that destroyed 4 shacks and damaged another badly leaving 8 adults and 2 children homeless.

George Fire Chief Neels Barnard said winter months were traditionally the busiest time for residential fires as people try to stay warm in cold weather.  “George Municipality Fire and Rescue appeals to everyone to take extra care when working with fire, gas and electricity, to be responsible and fire-conscious at all times – your life and property are at stake,” said Mr Barnard.

Barnard said, while the causes of house fires are not always straight-forward to determine, they generally have in common unsafe practices including overloading electrical plugs, falling asleep with burning cigarettes or using a drum or tin fire indoors. Fires in formal residences are often associated with newly installed fireplaces that had not been sufficiently insulated and new or neglected gas installations,” said Mr Barnard.

Vegetation fires in winter are often associated with homeless people making open fires to keep warm when sleeping outside. When rain and snow accompany the cold, motor vehicle accidents increase, which are also attended to by the fire department. The above factors are often worsened by alcohol abuse and there is a correlation between the number of callouts on Fridays and at the end of the month when people have been paid wages and salaries.


  • Do not overload electrical connections and plugs, use the plug for what it was made for.
  • Do not override the safety switch on your electrical board to avoid the electricity kicking out when you overload plugs.
  • Monitor plugs and check that they do not become hot.
  • Pull out cellphone and other chargers when you are not using them.
  • Do not use drum and tin fires indoors.
  • Do not get into bed with a cigarette.
  • Put the electrical heater off before you fall asleep.
  • If you install a fireplace, use a reputable builder or installer and monitor new installations when in use. Have your fireplace and chimney serviced regularly.


  • Stay low and under the smoke.
  • Make alarm and get everyone out of the house.
  • Close doors of rooms behind you as you move through and out of the house.
  • Phone the fire department when you are outside. (Save the fire department’s number on your phone – see below)


  • Phone the fire department. (Save the fire department’s number on your phone – see below).
  • Move cars and other obstacles out of the way so fire trucks can pass.
  • Do not carry furniture into the road where it can be in the way of fire trucks and firefighters.
  • Do not go into the burning house for any reason.
  • Do not open the doors or break windows – it fuels the fire.


Fire emergencies only: 044 801 6311
All after-hours emergencies: 044 801 6300
General enquiries fire department (office hours): 044 801 6300
Uniondale (office hours): 044 752 1225

- Advertisement -
Previous articlePresident ends State of Disaster
Next articleGeorge Municipality clamps down on electricity illegal connection
George falls within the Garden Route District Municipality, the third-largest district economy in the Western Cape, after the City of Cape Town and the Cape Winelands District. The Eden District is also geographically the third-largest district within the Western Cape Province. This district is informally known as the Garden Route, with George, its hub, nestled among the slopes of the majestic Outeniqua Mountains and flanked by the Indian Ocean. Because of the proximity to the ocean, the area enjoys a pleasant, temperate climate. George also enjoys the strategic advantage of being situated on the major transport routes between Cape Town in the south and Port Elizabeth in the east. This creates investment opportunities, particularly with regard to manufacturing, logistics and warehousing. Senior Communications Officer Athane Scholtz Communications Manager: Chantel Edwards-Klose