Try to add as many of these tips to your daily routine, and you will surely be well on the way to a slimmer, healthier you. We don’t get fat “overnight” – so you should expect it to take a certain amount of time to lose that weight again, but don’t give up! Persistence, Determination and Grit – They should be your watchwords. These tips work – if you stick to your plan!
1. Eliminate one tablespoon of bad fat a day and you will lose 3 kg in a year.
2. Avoid strange fad diets—if you can’t eat that way for the rest of your life, don’t waste your time or your health.
3. Limit alcohol consumption – each serving contains 100 to 150 calories.
4. Eat fruit at least twice a day.
5. Keep a food diary about your food choices, indicating how hungry you are each time you eat. Pay particular attention to your level of hunger when you snack.
6. Perform aerobic exercise a minimum of 30 minutes three times a week. Log this on your food diary. Aerobic means any exercise that increases your breathing and heart rate. Walking is fine! Do only what you can to begin with. If you have other health problems, consult your doctor before embarking on any strong physical exercise.
7. Gradually increase the length and frequency of your workouts.
8. Weigh yourself no more than once a week. And do it in the morning after going to the bathroom – it’s the most accurate reading.
9. Give yourself a non-food reward for every 3 kg lost.
10. Slow down your eating speed—make meals last at least 20 minutes. Try eating with the other hand or taking a sip of water between bites.
11. Use smaller plates.
12. Bring your lunch to work.
13. Start to strength train twice a week as your fitness improves. Building muscle increases your metabolism and forces your body to use fat, not muscle, when you’re cutting back on calories. Cut down on carbohydrates and stick to lean white meat and fish, and you will notice vast improvements here.
14. Stop eating while watching television.
15. Have someone else put away leftovers.
16. Buy a good low-fat, low-calorie cookbook or magazine subscription.
17. Try two new reduced-calorie recipes a month.
18. IMPORTANT – Eat breakfast daily. This suppresses the appetite for most of the day and provides fuel for the brain while at work or looking after the kids! You will feel better and have more energy all day if you eat a low fat cereal in the morning.
19. Don’t read while eating.
20. Have a sweet treat once a week.
21. Keep healthful snacks at home and at work.
22. Limit your cheese consumption to reduce fat and saturated fat—use cheese and lunchmeat with less than 5 grams of fat per ounce.
23. Add calorie counting or fat-gram counting to your food diary for a few weeks if your weight loss is slowing down. Maybe you’re missing something.
24. Substitute herbs and spices for salt.
25. Shop for food when you are not hungry, and use a shopping list.
26. Replace ground beef with ground turkey or soy crumbles in dishes such as spaghetti. Don’t skip the protein in your meals; find a leaner substitute.
27. Eat three vegetables a day.
28. Always eat sitting down.
29. Request that your family and friends respect your efforts to lose weight and get fit—beware of loving “sabotage.”
30. Take a walk when you’re stressed or angry.
31. Watch your dairy intake.
32. Order dressings and sauces on the side and apply them with a fork.
33. Increase your fiber intake—chose whole-grain breads, cereals and pasta products, legumes, and raw fruits and vegetables.
34. Add slow-down food to your meals—crunchy vegetables, a large glass of water, hot soup or beverages, or fresh fruit to fill you up.
35. Cook with chicken broth, nonstick cooking spray, wine or water.
36. Drink eight 250ml glasses of water a day.
37. Control your portion sizes of meats and starches, and pile on the vegetables.
38. Ask how the food is prepared when ordering in a restaurant.
39. Choose frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Be careful of the portion size – these foods still have calories!
40. Select clear broth- or tomato-based soups over white soups.
41. Keep the junk foods out of sight in your home and workplace.
42. Take walking shoes or a jump rope with you when you travel to keep up with your exercise.
43. If you’re getting off track, try to pre-plan your food intake for the next three days by writing it down.
44. Buy frozen diet dinners with 10 grams of fat or less and 800 milligrams of sodium or less.
45. Avoid batter coating or breading.
46. Use two egg whites in baking instead of one whole egg.
47. Stretch during television commercials—arm circles, leg lifts, head tilts, etc.
48. Eliminate the unhealthy spreads on your rolls or popcorn.
49. Learn to say “no” gracefully when a friend or relative offers you a second helping.
50. Choose pizza with vegetable toppings rather than high-fat meats, such as sausage and pepperoni.
51. Ask for less cheese.
52. Choose cooking techniques that keep fat to a minimum, such as baking, grilling, broiling, roasting or steaming.
53. Add more low-fat soy products to your diet for the soy protein and health benefits.
54. Forgive yourself when you slip—and make the next food choice a healthy one.